Salamba Sarvangasana (Supported Shoulder stand) in Sanskrit translates to ‘Sarva’ meaning whole, ‘Anga’ meaning body part, and ‘Asana’ meaning posture. This asana has the benefit of covering all of the body systems. In this article, you will know about Salamba Sarvangasana benefits, steps and precautions of Shoulder Stand Pose yoga.
Well, Salamba sarvangasana is a sanskrit version of shoulder stand pose, and there are lots of Salamba Sarvangasana benefits that you should know.
Salamba Sarvangasana benefits are –
• Promotes a good blood flow.
• Helps in stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system by calming the nerves.
• Decreases depression and anxiety symptoms, eases fatigue, and improves the immune function.
• Strengthens the arms and shoulders.
• Helps to improve the spine’s flexibility.
• Brings harmony to body and mind.
• Stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands and helps in normalizing their functioning
• Increase blood supply to the brain
• Stretches the heart muscles by returning more venous blood to the heart
• Brings relief from Constipation, Indigestion and Varicose veins
• Detoxifies the body due to improved efficiency of the organs of the body
• Assists in maintaining youthfulness and has anti-aging effects
• Balances the circulatory, digestive, reproductive, and nervous system.
• Stimulates the Thymus gland, which boosts the immune system.
• Balances the parathyroid glands, which ensures regeneration and healthy development of the bones.
• Re-generates the digestive system as it enables an increase in blood circulation and drainage of stagnant blood.
After the Salamba Sarvangasana benefits, here are the step by step guide of this yoga.
a) Begin with lying on your yoga mat, with both your hands extended on your sides.
b) Slowly lift both your legs, hips, and back simultaneously so that you come up high on your shoulders.
c) Continue to support your back with the hands.
d) Now while you are in this position, remember to maintain your weight on shoulders and your arms.Avoid straining your head and neck.
e) Make sure that your legs are firm, and your knees do not bend.
f) Try and continue pressing your sternum (chest bone) towards your chin. In case there is any strain in the neck, withdraw from the posture. Continue to breathe deeply and stay in this pose for about 30-60 seconds.
g) To return to the original position, you may first slowly bring your knees to the forehead for ease.
h) Now, bring your hands to the floor with your palms facing down.
i) Without lifting the head slowly, you may bring your spine down completely to the floor.
j) Slowly lower the legs to bring them back to the floor in Savasana.
k) Now relax for a few seconds until your body calms down.
• To do this asana easily, you may initially need a folded blanket under the neck and shoulders for support.
• If you are practicing the pose for the first time, it may be difficult for you to raise the legs straight. If this happens, you may try and bend your knees slightly while taking the position and then straighten out your legs gradually.
• You may also alternatively take the help of the wall to raise your legs and stay upright.
If you already have knowledge about Salamba Sarvangasana benefits, then there are some precautions of Salamba Sarvangasana that you should keep remember while performing this yoga pose.
• Always consult your physician before performing this asana: especially during pregnancy.
• Avoid practicing the asana ifyou have high blood pressure, heart condition, Glaucoma, Slip Disc, Neck pain, acute Thyroid.
• Avoid performing this asana during menstruation.
A single targeted dose of radiotherapy could be as effective at treating breast cancer as a full course, a long-term…
The loss of smell that can accompany coronavirus is unique and different from that experienced by someone with a bad…
What are finger foods? Any solid food that can be eaten directly with hands rather than with utensils like a…
Raising your kid as a team Parenting is a rewarding feeling for both partners. However, along the way, it often…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is treated? The treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is decided on the basis of severity…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is diagnosed? Before getting into the diagnosis details of GAD, learn about what is generalized…