Adho Mukha Svanasana, also known as the downward-facing dog pose,is a standing pose,which is known to build strength while stretching the whole body. It is one of the asanas followed in the Surya Namaskar (sun salutations). You will know about all the steps and benefits of downward facing dog pose in this article.
Downward facing dog pose is known to build strength but there are lots of benefits of downward facing dog pose that you should know.
Benefits of Downward Facing Dog Pose –
• This pose helps to strengthen the entire body, starting from your shoulders going down to your legs.
• It also allows you to stretch your muscles at the back of your body, including ankles, calves, hamstrings, and spine.
• It acts as a meditative asana and calms the mind while stimulating blood circulation throughout the body.
• With practice, the Downward Dog pose can eventually become a rest pose to help you reconnect with your breath during yoga classes.
Read More: What is boat yoga pose and its benefits?
a) You must begin this pose by starting in an all-fours position balancing your body on your wrists and your knees.
b) Next, you may bring your hands slightly forward while you slowly spread your fingers with equal distance between each of them.
c) You may then slowly move your legs slightly backward, sufficient to lower your torso so that your forehead can touch the mat.
d) Continue to breathe, allowing your body to remain calm gently.
e) While you keep your core engaged, you may slowly lift your knee to create an inverted position with your body and keep your toes firmly on the ground.
f) Continue to peddle with your feet till you can control the pose. Stay this way for 5 breaths.
g) To return to your original position, bring your knees back down to the floor and come into Child’s pose.
• For a more relaxed version of this practice,you may try this pose against the wall for support.
• It is advisable to keep your back straight while performing this pose and do not hunch.
• Try a three-legged Dog variation by lifting one of your legs and keep your hips level and your foot flex- then repeat on the other side.
• If you want to focus more on the arms- try looping a support belt all-around your arms, above the elbows so that it presses against the strap.
If you are aware of benefits of Downward facing dog pose then you should also have a look at precautions of this yoga pose.
• Do not practice the asana if you are pregnant.
• Do not practice the asana if you have an injured back, arm or shoulders.
• Not advisable for individuals with high blood pressure.
A single targeted dose of radiotherapy could be as effective at treating breast cancer as a full course, a long-term…
The loss of smell that can accompany coronavirus is unique and different from that experienced by someone with a bad…
What are finger foods? Any solid food that can be eaten directly with hands rather than with utensils like a…
Raising your kid as a team Parenting is a rewarding feeling for both partners. However, along the way, it often…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is treated? The treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is decided on the basis of severity…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is diagnosed? Before getting into the diagnosis details of GAD, learn about what is generalized…