• Macrolide antibiotics are drug of choice
• Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole is good alternative for people who have shown allergic reactions to macrolides.
• Bronchodilators reduce complications associated with severe cough.
• Infective control is done by following isolation for 5 days after initiation of macrolide treatment or in untreated patients for 3 weeks , till nasopharyngeal cultures don’t come out as negative.
• Getting good sleep over comes the fatigue caused by chronic cough and helps in repairing the damaged tissues.
• Drinking loads of warm fluid to prevent dehydration which can lead to dry throat and mouth, headache, dizziness and confusion. It also helps to loosen up the nasal mucosal secretions and reduces viscosity of the mucus produced.
• Using a humidifier, symptoms are seen to get exacerbation in cold temperate and low humid air hence heated humidified air helps in loosing up and draining out the mucus, helps in opening up the airways.
• Using honey and lemon
• Peppermint essential oils they have anti inflammatory and de-stressing properties.
• Use of vitamin C, onion juice, drinking turmeric milk and eating almonds have shown antibacterial properties that can fight the bacteria cause whooping cough, like polyphenols in almonds, curcumin in turmeric and photo chemicals found in onion.
• Dry ginger, long pepper and black pepper grinded to powder form taken along with honey, 3 times/day. This mixture has a highly anti-inflammatory action.
• Ginger soup/ tea
• Drinking honey with lemon juice brings down the inflammation and soothes the lining of the throat.
|Early / catarrhal||Late / Paroxysmal|
|Low grade fever||Rapid coughs|
|Mild cough||High pitched whooping sound at end of cough|
|In babies- apnea, breathing with a pause||Vomiting during or after cough due to thick mucus production|
|Mimics common cold||Cough worsen at night|
A single targeted dose of radiotherapy could be as effective at treating breast cancer as a full course, a long-term…
The loss of smell that can accompany coronavirus is unique and different from that experienced by someone with a bad…
What are finger foods? Any solid food that can be eaten directly with hands rather than with utensils like a…
Raising your kid as a team Parenting is a rewarding feeling for both partners. However, along the way, it often…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is treated? The treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is decided on the basis of severity…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is diagnosed? Before getting into the diagnosis details of GAD, learn about what is generalized…