This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Sirt or Sirtuin are types of protein that are a part of the metabolic regulation. The name comes from “sir2” which was first found in a yeast cell, which stands for “Silent mating type Information Regulation 2”.
Yeast, worms, and flies contain a sir2 type of sirtuin, but mammals usually contain 7 types of sirtuin, namely SIRT1 to SIRT7, which occupy different places in the cell and perform different functions.
SIRT1, SIRT2, SIRT6, and SIRT7 are usually placed in the nucleus. SIRT1 and SIRT2 are also located in the cytoplasm, while SIRT3, SIRT4, and SIRT5 are placed in the mitochondria.
Sirt food has time and again being linked to weight loss, anti-aging and anti-inflammatory effects with protective effect against a number of lifestyle diseases. Recently, it has gained traction again due to reports of multi-Grammy awards winning singer Adele losing marked weight with the help of Sirt diet.
Obesity is a major preventable disease that is currently gripping as many as 300 million people worldwide.
Reduced Life Span: Obesity reduces life expectancy from 3 to 10 years, which is a drastic decrease in the average life.
Increased Death Rate: One in every 13 deaths are linked to obesity. This number doesn’t seem very positive when considering the number of people seen suffering from obesity.
Mental Health: It can be a significant factor in mental well-being, as well. Increased weight can cause low self-esteem and reduced confidence.
Daily activities, including doing everyday household chores, and performing any sort of physical activity, can prove to be difficult.
It is a major contributor to causing a number of diseases, type II diabetes being the most common disease. According to the NHS, obesity can cause serious health conditions like:
• Type II diabetes
• Coronary heart disease
• High Blood pressure and atherosclerosis
• Metabolic syndrome
• Major risk of cancer including bowel cancer, breast cancer and womb cancer
• Gastroesophageal reflux disease, which causes leak of stomach acid into the food pipe
• Reduced Fertility
• Osteoarthritis which causes joint pain and stiffness
• Sleep Apnea which causes interruption in breath during sleep
• Liver and Kidney diseases
• Pregnancy complications including gestational diabetes
Sirt protein has been associated with a bunch of benefits for the human body. Apart from its’ main function of reducing weight, it also helps against aging, fighting against inflammation, and promoting metabolism.
The diet claims to reduce 7 pounds of weight in a week by reducing the calorie intake, involving in physical activity, and eating rich food that enables the production of sirt protein.
It claims to activate the ‘skinny gene’ and help in fat loss, all while maintaining muscles and staying away from diseases.
Although this drastic weight loss is not impossible, there is very little research that proves the authenticity of the weight loss, and some researchers believe it can very well be the associated water weight, which will return as soon as the diet is switched back to normal.
There are other activators that play a major role in triggering sirt in the body and also help perform important bodily functions in the cells.
Resveratrol is one such component that produces 4-fold sirtuin. The wine contains a good amount of resveratrol that makes it a good Sirt diet.
Functions of Resveratrol:
Resveratrol is a Sirt activator that is usually found in raspberries, grape skin, and blueberries. It has shown similar advantages and proved beneficial in a number of things such as:
• Anti-neoplastic agent
Apart from these, it also showed cardioprotective properties as the use of resveratrol influenced
• Coronary relaxation
• Reduced ventricular arrhythmias
• Improved glucose metabolism
• Reduced Low-Density Lipoprotein(LDL)
• Increased High-Density Lipoprotein(LDL)
Although this type of diet excludes a number of food groups from being consumed like Dairy products, there are a number of products that can be incorporated in the daily routine for a nutritional diet.
• Red wine
• Dark chocolate (85% cocoa)
• Matcha Green tea
• Medjool Dates
• Olive Oil
• Citrus fruits
There are various recipe books available in the market for a Sirt meal that can be cooked for the diet, but the plan, in general, is separated into two weeks to ensure more sirt production in the body.
• The first 3 days require the calorie consumption to be reduced to 1000 kcal/day.
• The diet includes three Sirt juices throughout the day and one Sirt rich meal.
• After the first 3 days, from 4 through 7 days, the calorie intake rises from 1000 to 1500 kcal/ day.
• This includes consuming 2 Sirt juices and 2 Sirt rich meals throughout the day.
• This period is mostly called the maintenance period.
• The meal consumption is increased to 3 Sirt rich meals, and the juices are limited to one juice per day.
Get the Sirt food diet and its recipes for free (hyperlink to another article)
A vast amount of research needs to be conducted in the long term to ensure its benefits and no significant side effects.
Existing research states a number of benefits from consuming food that is a part of this diet, and some of them are mentioned below.
Cocoa or chocolate has been a guilty pleasure for almost everybody on the planet.
What constitutes as part of this Sirt diet isn’t just any chocolate; it contains 85% cocoa, which is a variety of dark chocolate.
• Flavanols and theobromine, which are components of dark chocolate, improve endothelial function, and contribute towards improving cardiovascular risk factors such as hypertension, insulin resistance, and hypercholesterolemia.
• Cocoa can also prevent nerve damage and inflammation and also prevent skin damage due to oxidation from UV radiation.
After water, coffee and tea are the most consumed beverages in the world, which are an abundant source of antioxidant polyphenols.
• Green tea reduces the risk of stroke, diabetes, and depression. It also improves cholesterol levels, glucose, and blood pressure, with a reduction in abdominal obesity.
• Coffee is associated with a reduction in all-cause mortality and cardiovascular deaths.
• Coffee consumption also reduces the risk of stroke, heart failure, diabetes, and some cancers.
• It is also associated with a reduced risk of atrial and ventricular arrhythmias.
Consumption of coffee should be limited as increased amounts can cause other issues, including anxiety.
It is a big part of the Indian cuisine and also a part of the Sirt diet.
• Curcumin, a yellow coloring agent, extracted from turmeric, can prevent and be used as a treatment for chronic inflammatory diseases.
• It also has major anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties, which can be used against chronic diseases.
Most of the studies on this diet are preliminary and still are conducted mostly on yeast, worms, flies, or mice, and they have resulted in positive outcomes. Human trials, however, need to be undertaken to ensure that the results achieved in other organisms are also achievable in us.
SIRT6, a variation of sirtuin protein found in mammals are known to be anti-carcinogens. They have anti-aging properties and also interfere with tumor development and can be used for cancer prevention and on-site treatment.
• SIRT1 in mammals has been found to be associated with cell growth, stress resistance, reduced oxidative damage, and metabolism. In mice, along with calorie restriction,it has shown to increase thelifespan.
• Mice that lacked SIRT6, mimicked a degenerative disorder that was close to models of accelerated aging.
• Mice that lacked SIRT7, were seen to have a reduction in mean and maximum lifespan, they developed heart hypertrophy as well as inflammatory cardiomyopathy.
Increased SIRT1 concentration in mice also showed a better reduction in fat mass, total cholesterol, fasting blood insulin and glucose levels. It also showed a delay in reproductive maturity and enhanced oxygen consumption.
Resveratrol, which is an activating agent for Sirt, showed a 70% increase in lifespan in yeast. It is also known for its anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties amongst its many other features.
Studies on sirtuin has also shown a multitude of benefits of it in the body, including:
• Improved calorie restriction to reduce weight.
• Increased life span: adult flies saw a 57% increase in lifespan due to excess sir2
• They were also found to be cancer or tumor suppressors.
As of now, there is limited data and guidelines regarding the consumption of SIRT diet, and one should be careful and pay attention, whenever opting for something new.
Consultation: It is also of utmost importance to consult a doctor before choosing to go ahead with the diet, as people with underlying difficulties can often face serious issues in case of calorie restrictions.
• Any calorie restriction from the normal intake will help reduce weight, however, a drastic reduction of 1500 kcal/day leaving one with only 1000 kcal/day can be very difficult for a person to adapt to.
• According to results from NCBI, a reduced intake of 800 kcal/ day isn’t going to provide any better results when compared to a daily intake of 1200 to 1600 kcal, which is a 1000 kcal deficit from the daily intake but still helps in weight reduction.
Rapid weight loss: is also not a great idea. NCBI recommends a gradual reduction of 0.5 to 1 kg per week, which results in 2-4 kg per month. Faster reductions can cause disruptions in the blood sugar levels and other factors that can cause problems in people facing underlying issues.
• Rapid weight loss, as claimed by this diet, can often be reduced water weight due to loss of fat, as fat requires water molecules for storage.
• When one opts out of the diet, the water weight and the fat usually come back.
Juices that are a part of this diet are high in sugar. All the sugar is often strained out of the fruit or the greens and ends up in the juice.
High Sugar: Consuming more than 1 juice per day, in the long run, can cause increased sugar levels, which can be a factor for obesity.
Dental Issues: Extra sugar extracted from fruit or vegetable juices often causes tooth decay. These sugars are not harmful when consuming the fruit directly as they are part of the structure and can provide better fiber as well. Thus, NHS suggests only having 150ml of juice a day and consuming 4 portions of fruits instead.
Cost is another factor when considering this diet. Since juice consumption is a major part of the routine, a well-functioning juicer is important, and it might set one back by a considerable amount.
Various recipe books are also needed to incorporate the meals in the plan, and the ingredients that a part of this diet can often be difficult to find and costly as well.
Initial feeling of tiredness: and feeling of lack of energy can happen when feeding on a calorie restricted diet.
Every diet regime has its pros and cons and it is what suits a person best that determines its benefits. Although long term effects still need to be studied, 3 weeks of diet restriction might not cause any significant complications to most of the people.
Due to the limited research, it might be difficult to tag this is as a magical solution for instant weight loss, aging and improved health.
However, the studies done until now and the theory behind them seem promising to suggest possible benefits on one’s health.
However, it is always advisable to be cautious when stepping up for such a diet and to consult a medical practitioner or an expert before starting with it.
A single targeted dose of radiotherapy could be as effective at treating breast cancer as a full course, a long-term…
The loss of smell that can accompany coronavirus is unique and different from that experienced by someone with a bad…
What are finger foods? Any solid food that can be eaten directly with hands rather than with utensils like a…
Raising your kid as a team Parenting is a rewarding feeling for both partners. However, along the way, it often…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is treated? The treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is decided on the basis of severity…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is diagnosed? Before getting into the diagnosis details of GAD, learn about what is generalized…