This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Piles (hemorrhoids) are small lumps that develop in and around the terminal end of your gut (anus and lower rectum), which are made up of Swollen veins (predominantly), Supportive tissue and Muscles. In this article, we are going to talk about causes of Piles, signs and symptoms of piles and other factors about Piles hemorrhoids.
These may just felt as lumps around your anus or lumps coming out of it, or associated with other symptoms such as pain, bleeding or itching around the anus. These lumps vary in size ranging from the size of a pea to the size of a grape.
It is estimated that about 50% population develops piles by the age of 50 years.
However, there are a number of effective treatments available from home remedies and over the counter medicines to surgeries. That’s why we have come with complete causes of piles, signs and symptoms of piles here.
There are many factors and causes of piles are available with leading signs and symptoms of piles hemorrhoids. Piles are believed to occur due to various factors which result in the following effects:
Factors that can lead to the development of piles (Causes of Piles) are:
• Increased pressure:
– Sitting for long periods
– Having constipation since long
– Lifting heavy weights regularly
• Diet: eating a low fiber diet or spicy food
• Chronic diarrhea can also result in piles
You may experience different signs and symptoms of piles according to the type of the piles with the commonest presentation being:
External piles: painful hard swelling around the anus
Internal piles: painless bleeding from the rectum
Other features are also given below
|External piles/hemorrhoids||Internal piles/hemorrhoids|
|1. Typically noticed as a painful and hard lumps around anus||1. Usually presents as painless bleeding from rectum which can be along with stools, on toilet pan or on your underwear|
|2. You may also notice it as soft painless lumps around anus||2. You may also notice a lump protruding out of the anus when it elongates and prolapses|
|3. It may cause irritation and itching in your anal region||3. Prolapsed piles may cause mucus discharge and irritation in your anal region|
|4. May produces pain in the anal region especially on sitting or doing strenuous activity||4. It may also cause sensation of incomplete passage of stools and soiling of your underwear with stools|
|5. Bleeding occurs less common and is seen only when clotted piles get eroded||5. Pain is less common, but occurs when piles get clotted, prolapsed or strangulated.|
• If you are blood from anus or blood in stools especially if there is a change in bowel habit or color of the stool. Instead of signs and symptoms of piles, this could represent signs of cancer also.
• If you experiences significant amount of pain and discomfort
• If the condition doesn’t relive after one week of home care
Well, after the signs and symptoms of piles the main part comes that you should know, which is complications of piles.
• Anemia. Rarely, chronic blood loss from hemorrhoids may cause anemia, in which you don’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to your cells.
• Strangulated hemorrhoid. If the blood supply to an internal hemorrhoid is cut off, the hemorrhoid may be “strangulated,” which can cause extreme pain.
• Blood clot. Occasionally, a clot can form in a hemorrhoid (thrombosed hemorrhoid). Although not dangerous, it can be extremely painful and sometimes needs to be lanced and drained.
After taking a proper history with some of the above described signs and symptoms of piles the doctor would do a local examination of your anal and rectal region to look for piles or any other disease causing similar presentation.
Piles are treated on the basis of severity and the type of signs and symptoms of piles hemorrhoids, type of piles and health condition of the person. The treatment consists of:
• Home care treatment
A single targeted dose of radiotherapy could be as effective at treating breast cancer as a full course, a long-term…
The loss of smell that can accompany coronavirus is unique and different from that experienced by someone with a bad…
What are finger foods? Any solid food that can be eaten directly with hands rather than with utensils like a…
Raising your kid as a team Parenting is a rewarding feeling for both partners. However, along the way, it often…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is treated? The treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is decided on the basis of severity…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is diagnosed? Before getting into the diagnosis details of GAD, learn about what is generalized…