The treatment of meningitis depends on the type of meningitis and presence of complications, if any. The following treatment is generally given in various types of meningitis.
Bacterial meningitis must be treated immediately in a hospital setting by giving intravenous antibiotics.
• Antibiotics: appropriate antibiotics are given for the particular bacteria causing infection. The bacteria can be isolated from CSF or sometime from blood. Broad-spectrum antibiotic like cephalosporins and combination of chloramphenicol with ampicillin has also shown good results until the exact cause of the meningitis is not confirmed.
• Corticosteroids is also given in some cases to reduce swelling in the brain and prevent complications.
• Anticonvulsants: can be given to manage seizure.
• Drainage of the infected sinus or mastoid may also be done remove the source of infection.
It is treated with a combination of specific antibiotics.
Typically there is no specific treatment available for viral infection.However, usually it doesn’t even require any particular treatment, except for supportive care which includes following:
• Over-the-counter pain medications to help reduce fever and relieve body aches
• Best rest
• Good fluid intake
• Corticosteroids to decrease swelling in brain
• Anticonvulsant drugs to control seizures
In case of herpes virus infection, an antiviral medicine may be given.
It is treated with antifungal medicines. Cryptococcal or Coccidioides meningitis, is usually treated with long course of high dose, of medicines such as flucytosine and amphotericin B.
Noninfectious meningitis occurring because of autoimmune disease or allergic reaction may be treated with corticosteroids. In some patients, no treatment may be required and the condition may resolve on its own. When meningitis is related to cancer, treatment for the particular cancer is given.
A single targeted dose of radiotherapy could be as effective at treating breast cancer as a full course, a long-term…
The loss of smell that can accompany coronavirus is unique and different from that experienced by someone with a bad…
What are finger foods? Any solid food that can be eaten directly with hands rather than with utensils like a…
Raising your kid as a team Parenting is a rewarding feeling for both partners. However, along the way, it often…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is treated? The treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is decided on the basis of severity…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is diagnosed? Before getting into the diagnosis details of GAD, learn about what is generalized…