This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
The diagnosis of depression is made the doctor as follows:
• History taking: complete history about your symptoms of depression, any physical complaints or disease, duration of complaints, any mental health issue, or condition in the family. This may be done by a general practitioner who would eventually refer you to a specialist.
• Physical exam: the doctor may do a physical exam to rule out any underlying physical health issue.
• Blood tests: the doctor may get some blood tests done to check for general conditions or any specific health issues like thyroid abnormality.
• Psychiatric assessment: this is done by a specialist doctor (psychiatrist). He would take a detailed history about your symptoms along with the assessment of your thoughts, emotions, and behavior patterns.
To confirm the depression diagnosis, he would follow the guidelines laid down by the American Psychiatric Association, in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) which are as follows:
For the clinical depression diagnosis, a person must have at least 5 of the following symptoms over a period of 2 weeks.
• Feeling of sadness most of the day.
• Loss of interest in most of the day to day activities.
• Loss of worth: a person has feelings of guilt or worthlessness in life.
• Weight issues: which may be significant loss or gain of weight.
• Sleep issues: such as loss of sleep or sleeping a lot.
• Problems in thinking and decision making: Slowed, interrupted thinking, loss of focus, or indecisiveness.
• Lack of energy and feeling fatigued.
• Slowed actions and movement.
• Suicidal thoughts and thoughts of death.
MD, Super Specialised in Body and MSK imaging
15 years of experience
A single targeted dose of radiotherapy could be as effective at treating breast cancer as a full course, a long-term…
The loss of smell that can accompany coronavirus is unique and different from that experienced by someone with a bad…
What are finger foods? Any solid food that can be eaten directly with hands rather than with utensils like a…
Raising your kid as a team Parenting is a rewarding feeling for both partners. However, along the way, it often…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is treated? The treatment of generalized anxiety disorder is decided on the basis of severity…
How generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is diagnosed? Before getting into the diagnosis details of GAD, learn about what is generalized…